Select Page

If it is not practical to drain on permeable soil or use a permeable pavement, it is best to keep the surface water on site to avoid an increasing risk of flooding elsewhere. This can be achieved by reaching a Soakaway or some other way to soak it in the ground (called infiltration). There are two drainage systems you need to think about: fault and surface water. In general, these two systems must be maintained separately. Flow covers indicate exits. By lifting the lid, it may be possible to see the direction, size and depth of the pipes, but not enter the chamber (which can be filled with toxic gas) and ensure that the cover is replaced safely. Surface water drainage carries rainwater (and melted snow and ice) from hard surfaces. The surface system of gutters and rainwater pipes is called roof drainage; underground pipes are called surface water sewers and surface water channels. Hardstandings surface water must not flow on the highway, where it can cause accidents or nuisance. The flow path should avoid obstacles (for example. B ponds or outbuildings) and keep them away from the foundations, so it has to be longer and have additional access rooms instead of running in a straight line. The approved H document provides guidance on the additional measures required when exits are to be near the foundations. The construction of an existing flow or channel can damage the pipes, causing them to drain or block, which can lead to olfactory nuisance, health problems and environmental damage.

It also makes it more difficult to clear plugs and repair or replace faulty exits, which take time and are expensive. Therefore, if there is a flow below or near the proposed extension, it may be necessary to move or protect it, which may increase the cost of your project. The location of rainwater pipes, piles of sanitary pipes and external sewers may indicate where their underground sewers are likely to pass through. Normally, we do not allow structures to be built above or near the water line. If you find one, it is important to contact us to discuss next steps on 0800 9172652. Dirt drainage carries used water from toilets, sinks, sinks, bathrooms, showers, bidets, dishwashers and washing machines. Surface piping is called sanitary tubes; underground pipes are called polluted sewers and sewers. To carry the flow and avoid obstructions, the flow or pipe you want to connect to should normally be at least 0.8m below ground floor level. If it`s less than that, you should seek advice from a contractor, architect or drainage engineer. If you intend to build a public channel or find yourself nearby, you need a written agreement from your wastewater water supply, so you should consult with the company during the first planning phase of your work. Therefore, you need to tell us if you are planning to expand your home so that we can make sure that your home and our pipes are protected during and after construction.

The sanitary pipes must be ventilated so that air escapes from the pipes and sewers in the building. The pipes must be sized for the flow of water to minimize the risk of obstruction and allow air movements. Indications on the size of the pipes are available in the approved document H. The normal way to do this is to extend the piping (known as the ventard) outwards, so that the end is open (but protected by a net to prevent birds). To prevent odours from entering a building, the open end of the ventilation hose must be extended by at least three metres to the side or up to 0.9 m above an opening in a building.